Saturday 28 January 2023

Background to using DNA

 As a trained scientist I have no difficulty understanding the basics of the science and mathematical statistics underlying genetic genealogy, but I also do not believe in re-inventing the wheel, so I started looking for websites which demonstrated techniques to use. This blog post is a list of the sites I have found most useful and why. This is not intended to be a one-time blog post, but hopefully will grow as I come across more useful sites.


Diahan Southard's "Your DNA Guide"

 This really set me on the right track in organising my DNA matches, grouping them by "Most Recent Common Ancestor(s)" (MRCA). Yes, I bought the book. If you want to and don't want a solid copy I would suggest purchasing the PDF version from the web site. In particular I would suggest reading the following blog posts on the site:

  • DNA Triangulation: explains how to use shared matches (in Ancestry and other sites) to identify MRCAs without ploughing down to segment level,
  • What is a Genetic Network: explains the concepts underlying DNA Triangulation

DNA Painter

 Online visualisation tools for getting your head around your DNA matches (particularly for a very visual person like me). It has tools to help people with recent "non-parental events" locate themselves within a potential family tree and for those people who want to dig down to segment level in their analysis. The section I use most often is:

  • The Shared cM Tool: based on the work of a group of genetic statisticians, this allows to isolate the possible relationships a certain level of common cMs can cover.

The Genetic Genealogist

 One of the pioneers of genetic genealogy (and yes I've purchase one of his books), his blog ranges widely over the uses of DNA in genealogy. He was one of the founders of:

  • The Shared cM Project: a statistical analysis of relationships and the variations in shared cM which can occur. This is the data underlying "The Shared cM Tool" (above)

The Leeds Method

 A method for sorting out your high cM matches into genetic networks, and seeing if you have any recent pedigree collapse. Plenty of explanatory blog posts to help you.


DNA Explained

 I've only just come across this blog via one of the best coverages of ThruLinesTM I've seen:


 That's all for now, folks. Good luck with your DNA matches.

4 comments:

  1. Hiya, interesting blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment. Hope it's enjoyable as well as interesting. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can’t see an email to write to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't see an email to write to you, either.

      Delete